1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird looking chick, silkie but no leg feathers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cityhen, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Cityhen

Cityhen New Egg

Sep 13, 2012
    This chick shouldn't have survived, I had to pick the shell off the egg as I found him on the floor of the coop, the other chicks hatched and the hens obviously didn't care. when it hatched it had a large bump on its head. I think its a silkie but I thought silkies had leg feathers?
    [​IMG]

These are the other two that hatched, if anyone could ID these 2 as well id appreciate it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    What are the possible parent breeds involved? They all look like crosses.

3. Cityhen

Cityhen New Egg

Sep 13, 2012
    I got them from ebay in the listing it says it could be any from these

''Orpington, Ancona, Maran, Barnvelder, Silkie, Friesian Fowl, Cream Crested Legbar, Vorwerk, Sussex, Poland, Salmon Faverolle, Rhode Island Red and Leghorn'

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they are not mixed, the first would be that crested legbar breed. It is not a silkie.

5. captainmommy3

captainmommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    It does look more like the legbar.....the chicks have a bit of the fluffed up feathers on their heads but its not the right color, too light ....maybe a mix?

6. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    It looks like a polish fowl to me... they have big crests, silkies have small crests, as chicks they have, almost no crest, and silkies have blue/black skin. Cute chickie, though. =)

7. Silkies~Polishes

Silkies~Polishes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Okay first one I am almost absolute sure that it is a polish/Poland
    None are silkies :(
    I'm thinking Ancona, maran, or Cream crested legbar

Haha reminds me about 1 year ago I bought chicks at a feed store labeled as silkies. Didn't have any of the silkie traits(slight head bump, feather legs, five toes) when they grew up for sure they were Cochins!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by