1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird looking egg shell???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by burgandyrae, Sep 6, 2016.

1. burgandyrae

burgandyrae Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2016
    Cynthiana, KY
    This is the weirdest egg I've ever seen. Does anyone know why it looks like this?[​IMG]

2. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    I had a guinea hen that laid eggs that looked exactly like that. I always just thought that was the type of egg. It could be a very porous egg too

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    There are many little glitches that happen 'normally'.
    Looks like it could be porous, or just a funky coating or bloom pattern.
    Knowing more about your birds, how old, how long laying... etcetcetc....would allow someone to give you a decent answer as to why.

4. burgandyrae

Jan 24, 2016
    Cynthiana, KY

I have ISA Browns that are almost 23 weeks old and 2 Australorps that are 19 weeks old. One of Browns has been laying since she was 19 weeks old and another one just started the other day. I'm not sure if this egg was out of one of those 2 or if it was one of the other 4. They usually lay beautiful light brown eggs (in the morning!) but last night when I closed up the coop I found 2 eggs and this was one of them.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Probably just a new layer glitch...I wouldn't worry about it.

6. burgandyrae

Jan 24, 2016
    Cynthiana, KY
    Apparently I have a third layer and she's the one that made this weird egg. She laid another one today! Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by