Weird looking eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by laverne34, Sep 8, 2010.

1. laverne34

laverne34 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm wondering what's going on with my Easter Egger....she had been laying normal eggs up to 2 months ago when she started her molt. Then she was laying eggs without a shell. Just yesterday she layed a weird shaped egg and now today another. I'm giving my hens yogurt along with layer pellets everyday and they have free access to oyster shell. My other hens don't have a problem. Can someone shed some light on this for me??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Two possibilities:

One - A common Easter Egger problem, as a lot of hatcheries have old EE stock which creates for defective EE's. Mine has crooked toes, and originally had perfectly good eggs for months, now she only lays once a month, and lays enormous eggs that have rough, thin shells - or she just lays a nasty goop of an egg.

Two - Just getting back into the cycle. They should get better over time. My girls occasionally lay oddly shaped or wrinkle-tipped eggs like that.

3. laverne34

laverne34 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks for you input...guess I'll just wait and see what happens. Yes, her eggs do have a very thin shell right now...hope this improves. She was one of my best layers till 2 months ago.

4. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I get these from time to time...sounds like you are doing everything right....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by