Weird looking foots.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kurak3000, May 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. kurak3000

kurak3000 Chirping

Feb 24, 2018
    Poland
    Hi, i've found that my 3 weeks old black_runner_mix foots looking weird. Do you know what can it be? First i thought some wheat straw bedding sticks to it but after checking (after 15 min bath) i know it is some permanent part of the body. Doesn't look like bumblefoots i'v seen on internet. This duckling is acting like other ducks, althouth it has more upright stance (it is from diferrent mother). I know that I should say hello first (I've been trying to start write something for 13 months :), but i think I'm in an emergency.

Attached Files:

2. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    I still think bumblefoot, and that the yellow is probably dried pus or something. Or wheat straw that has "grown into" the bumble because of the stickiness of the wound.

I'd do a bumblefoot surgery to try to excise the growths/bumble scab, flush the wound, apply antibiotic ointment, and wrap the feet.

3. kurak3000

kurak3000 Chirping

Feb 24, 2018
    Poland
    I am impressed by the speed of reesponse:) In my domestic forum i would wait weeks. Before I decide to the surgery, I will wait a little bit for more responses (Its heart beats so fast during holding in hands :( i will decide to surgery when i'll 100 percent sure). I will add some information. I used old clothes as bedding for the first two weeks and straw for the last week. After hatching the duck had difficulty standing on his feet through first few days (reverse V split), but now it goes normally.

4. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    Yeah I don't blame you for holding out for some second opinions. The yellow growths look more and more like straw to me the more I look at them, I think they have just forced themselves into the wounds on the feet and gotten scabbed in. Can you pull one of the pieces out by hand easily, or are they stuck fast?

I would be interested to know what the flesh of the feet look like under all that yellow gunk. I think you'll see an open sore of some kind.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Very odd growth....great pics.
    'Bumblefoot' is usually a staph infection in a puncture wound,
    This looks like some kind of fungal growth...maybe tumors.
    upload_2019-5-16_18-10-45.png

@WVduckchick @Wyorp Rock @Pyxis @casportpony ..ever seen anything like this?

6. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    It almost looks like nail tissue?

Kind of like epidermodysplasia verruciformis in people almost.

untitled.png

untitled.png
    Very weird.

7. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    @casportpony @Miss Lydia are both very good with things like this! They will be here soon to help, don't worry, maybe an hour but not weeks until they get back to you.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is the yellowish stuff hard or soft.
    I'd be tempted to use a scalpel and cut a slice off.

9. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

That's probably what I would do too. I would start by trimming a little off to see if it bled. If no blood, I would keep trimming.

edited to add:
    Never seen anything like that before.

10. kurak3000

kurak3000 Chirping

Feb 24, 2018
    Poland
    It was wery hard. I pull one piece away. Foot was bleeding a bit. Duck is acting as nothing happen, walking as always (from 3 weeks minus few days).

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: