Weird lump on broody hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickeneer45, Aug 21, 2013.

1. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    I was returning some eggs to my white hen, when I felt an eggsized lump on her. I lifted her slightly to put the eggs under her and when I did, I felt a huge circular lump. At first I thought it was an egg, but I am 90 percent sure that that is not what it is. Is it a tumour? A cyst? An abscess? It was about the size of an egg. I was too freaked out to investigate further... I am really worried for her. She was just out today and doing fine and her eggs are due to hatch in just over a week. I am very worried. Any help would be greatly appreciated.... I don't know why but I couldn't help but think of a giant spider nest; you know how they are big and circular... Its right below her neck; where her body begins.

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Is it possibly her crop? Maybe she just got done eating a bunch of food and had a full crop? They are at the bottom of their necks where their bodies begin, and could certainly be egg sized after a large meal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by