1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird noise 1 week old chicks are making

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by schmoo, May 15, 2007.

1. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    So this morning I go in to wish the chicks happy one week b-day [​IMG] and some of them are making a weird new noise. They are all very perky and eating, drinking, pooing great.........

It sounds sort of like a tiny cough. It's so hard to describe. They don't seem sick. Eyes are clear, poo seems normal. I started using pine shavings last week for bedding (the big bag from TSC) and they are a bit dusty -could it be getting in their throats? They have been at the exact correct temp. -no drafts etc. Otherwise -perfect health.
    They are on medicated chick starter and water only. Am I being a nervous chick mom or do I need to worry?

2. kingsdaughter

kingsdaughter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    California
    I have one chick that is sneezing also. It had splayed legs, so I seperated it and tied them together. The fantastic news is that afterore than two weeks the legs have completely healed. The little lady is up walking and peeping and ready to play. However, she has developed a sneeze so I havent put her back with the flock. She doesnt have and goo or foul smelling stuff around her beak, but I havent been sure if she was sick or what, so she is still seperate. I hope someone can give you / me some advise about this.

3. kingsdaughter

kingsdaughter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    California

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by