Weird Noises

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pollitos Mami, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Pollitos Mami

Pollitos Mami Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    The Caribbean
    Hi! One of my 11 week old chickens is making the weirdest noise. It's like a nasally hacking sound sort of. It's odd and she does it all the time now. It's like she's crying or hurt of something. Any ideas?[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    sneezing maybe? Mine sneeze sometimes, even a lot when diggin, in the dirt. Not sure though... would need to hear it. Could it be respiratory perhaps...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  3. Pollitos Mami

Pollitos Mami Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    The Caribbean
    Thank You. And to me it sounds more like a goose or a duck even not the regular peeping my others chickens make.

4. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    There is another thread going on right now that perhaps you saw that asks about chickens sounding like a goose. Here is a link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=556601 I have a 17 week old pullet who has sounded like a goose honking up until recently, when she started sounding more like a chicken. Others on here have reported their chickens making what sound like honking sounds at times. Must be normal.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    LOL yes it's kinda like a teenagers high pitched whinning LOL before they get their adult voices, it's normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by