Weird noises????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Oddyse, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Oddyse

Oddyse Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Bristol
    Hello guys, been a long time since I posted on here so I thought I would start with a hello!!! [​IMG]

Right, my eldest ducks ( around 15 - 16 weeks now) have started making some really strange noises. They sit up in the water, bend their necks down and make, what I can only describe as, a farting noise. Anyone know what this could be? Many thanks guys

2. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    If you mean they are putting their heads in the water and doing that noise, they are cleaning out their nostrils. Mine do it all the time. That is a good thing.

3. Oddyse

May 21, 2011
    Bristol
    No they are doing it with their heads out of the water. They sit up and do it, I will try and get a video of it for you

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I think I know what you mean... It it done just before or after mating?? My Runners will also fluff up the feathers on the tops of their heads and kind of stick their chests out too.

5. Oddyse

May 21, 2011
    Bristol
    Yeah yeah thats it! Their feathers on their heads fluff up and then they do it, as soon as one does it, the other does it too. I dont think mating is involved here because they are all females. Could it be something to do with them ready to lay eggs? Because they have not started laying yet

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have only ever seen it done by the males not the females. My females will present to a male by crouching down and going very flat allowing them to " climb on".

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have an all-girl group, too, and in the absence of a drake, they take turns with those kinds of behaviors. Sechs was doing that display in the kiddie pool yesterday. She's quite dramatic!

It probably means they are within a month of laying, if they're like mine were last year. Do you have plenty of oyster shell or other source of calcium on hand? It may be time to set out a dish free choice for those a little more mature than the others. Mine did not all begin to lay at once - someone started at sixteen weeks, four days, and everybody was on board about six weeks later.

8. kimberly35042

kimberly35042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    Central Alabama
    my young male ducks do it too. I kindof thought they are "practicing" if you know what I mean although there is no female under them. Little duck has been doing the hussy head bob but I don't think they get it just yet....

9. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    My boy duck stretches up and does a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee- DONK! Noise, when he is proud of himself!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by