1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird pattern of feather loss/breaking off! PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1Teacherchick, Aug 17, 2013.

1. 1Teacherchick

1Teacherchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Northern CA
    Not an emergency, but Henrietta, my barred rock hen, has bare patches on her chest and on the arch (top) of her wings, where the feathers are broken off or missing. We sprayed SEVIN in the coop, changed all the shavings in the bottom, put Frontline on all the hens, and sprinkled their dust bath area with SEVIN powder. 3 weeks later, it is worse than before. She is not being picked on by the other hens, and she is healthy and laying well. They free range for 10-12 hours per day. Any hints, suggestions, or answers?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  2. ChickenGrit

ChickenGrit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2012
    Crockett, VA
    Do you have a rooster?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does she have feather mites? Apparently sevin dust and permethrin work well, but they have to be repeated every 4-7 days for feather mites. I haven't had this before but I have read that once the feathers are damaged, it might take until after a molt for the feathers to grow back in well.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  5. 1Teacherchick

1Teacherchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Northern CA
    ChickenGrit - We don't have a rooster. Eggcessive - We didn't repeat the pesticide treatment, so I will try to do three rounds of pesticide about a week apart. She is about a year old, so I guess we'll have to wait until her molt to see if they grow back. dawg53 - I never thought that she might be eating them herself. I'll have to watch that. In the meantime, I'll look into supplementing with spinach. Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by