Weird pecking behavior?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jackieperk, Mar 16, 2015.

1. jackieperk

jackieperk New Egg

Mar 16, 2015
    We just got new chicks yesterday and are keeping them inside in a kiddie pool with sawdust bedding and the works. Yesterday one of the chicks started pecking at this one small region of the side of the tub and this morning all four of them have begun doing this. There does not appear to be anything special about that particular area of the tub, only that they are all fascinated by it. They are two weeks old and are pecking at it very hard- is it possible this will hurt their beaks?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    No, it will not hurt their beaks. They are just exploring. They can see colors and parts of the light spectrum that we cannot. Something in that spot is very interesting to them. [​IMG]

Welcome to our flock! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  3. SanDeezy

SanDeezy New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    (Jackieperk was asking about my chicks) I'm using a kiddie pool for the brooder, and it's bright pink... (only color they had and I didn't stop to think). Could they be pecking because of the color? We could drape a sheet over the sides to hide the color...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  4. mo2872

mo2872 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2014
    NE Oklahoma
    Not sure it's the color......we have ours in a blue kiddie pool, and they scratch the pine out of the way, and peck like crazy at the bottom of the pool!

[​IMG]

They also peck on the orange/white wall panels.

5. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
  6. SanDeezy

SanDeezy New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    thanks for that, it was an interesting read!

7. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    [​IMG] I thought so too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by