Weird! Please read and help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KalispellMt, Jun 15, 2016.

1. KalispellMt

KalispellMt New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    We have had our store bought chickens a year this Spring. Only ONE out of 7 hens have tried to to hatch eggs. She has had two chicks and is laying on three eggs still, two are duds for sure, maybe another will hatch, feels heavy. I have her in the coop separated from the others with her clutch.

Since this brooding, this hen and none of the other hens, have laid ANY eggs in the last two weeks! Could this change in the chicken coop be the cause?

Also, Gru, the rooster has mated with several of the hens, however the brooding hen is the only one he hasn't plucked into ugliness! Maybe his favorite? IDK?

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    No,if it was his favorite,she'd be naked.He probably understands that she is not laying,mature roosters do not want a hen who is not productive.Or he understands her stress,more then likely both.

When 'beginning' layers hit about a year or few months their laying drops,or stops completely.brooding,or broody hens do not lay eggs.

3. KalispellMt

KalispellMt New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    He has clearly mated with her...they are her eggs?

What about the lack of egg production from ALL hens?

4. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Point of lay.as mentioned above in my post young hens stop laying for a few weeks.they are usually around a year when they begin this "cycle'

5. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    The chicks who are hatched were hers?they lay so many eggs,then they sit on them.But,once they are broody,they are not continuously laying everyday.and usually do not start laying till about 3 weeks later (usually when the chicks are a little bigger and can handle her sitting in the boxes for so long.)

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    One hen being broody or hatching eggs has never caused my other hens to totally stop laying. A change can cause some to reduce or maybe even temporarily stop them laying but what you describe doesn’t sound right. It should not be all the hens.

How long have these hens been laying? I’m not sure what age they were when you got them. After hens have laid for a year or more production can dramatically drop. Their bodies just get worn out and they need a rest. Often they molt when this happens. Something about their laying history could help. How long have they stopped?

Where are you? Putting your location in your profile can often help with these types of questions. If you are south of the equator it’s extremely possible they are molting with the shorter days. They quit laying when they molt. Maybe they are just molting, the loss of feathers may have nothing to do with the rooster.

Other than the molt, the most common cause of hens stopping laying is that they have not stopped at all, they are hiding a nest. Is it possible yours are hiding a nest?

Is something stealing the eggs? The only critters that I know of that take eggs without leaving evidence are snakes, members of the canine family (that would be likely to eat the hens), or a human. I’ve had a snake eat eggs out from under a broody hen before, though the snake did not come every day. She would eat a few, go digest them, then come back a few days later. Probably not a snake since it is an everyday thing. At least I think it is every day. The only canine that probably would not have taken the broody hen might be a dog. Do you have a pet dog that has learned the egg song is an invitation to a free snack?

There could be a lot of different explanations. We need more information to even make an educated guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by