Weird poop and other issues, MAJORLY concerned (first time)

cottoncandyx

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 2, 2011
Okay so I've been having a lot of weird issues with these two baby chickens my mom brought home randomly from the market. I don't know what kind, but they look like this. I don't know the age either! So just from looking they look healthy and happy, which they are I believe. I am the only one in my family who is paying concern, everyone else just seems to treat them like toys. I actually want to keep them and make sure their healthy! So here are the issues.

heres the image of them: i56.tinypic.com/6opwt0.jpg

1. Poop! They both poop differently. One of theirs is stringy dark green borderline diarrhea (somethings a weird dark tan color), and the other one just seems to be popping out the food smashed up, like oatmeal. They look all coiled like worms, but it's not worms. We have pellets, and my mom thought it would be okay to add in smashed nacho chips, with their starters (sorry I said pellets earlier) is this okay?!

2. VERY CLINGY. This is actually driving me crazy and my family. They seem attached to me only. When I'm not in sight they do this high pitched chirping non stop. I left them on the balcony one time to try to isolate them from people, but they cried like this for literally an hour. They need to see people and receive human contact constantly, we can't leave them alone for 10 seconds What do I do?

3. Sleeping! Currently we don't keep them in a box or cage, they just wander around the house freely. I tried to put them in the box today but they kept crying and tried to jump up and it really hurt them cause they would hit the box. At night for sleeping I bundle them up in a small box with tissues and keep them in my room and they seem to like it.

They don't seem like their sick or anything, I haven't been noticing anything weird, except one of the chicks keeps rubbing her beak into the ground. Other then that they seem very healthy and strong. They have been climbing and hopping around a lot today. Their feathers are coming in nicely on their wings. I'm just concerned!

Thank you
smile.png

Last edited:
How old are they? Sounds like you need chick starter not pellets and no chips. Give them a heat soucre other than a human hand. Try a box with a heat lamp and a little stuffed toy.

Baby chicks are so cute, but a big responsibility, as you are finding out quickly.

Without being able to see the picture of them or know the age it is difficult to advise. Chicks should be on Starter Mash until 6 weeks old. No chips! Mine had almost all their feathers & just a little baby fuzz around the head & neck by that age. They do need higher protein in their diet for the 1st 6 weeks. Until you can get starter mash you can also give them hard boiled eggs chopped finely and some oats.

Coiled poop for baby chicks is fine. Refer to above mentioned droppings chart. Feed them better & droppings should look better. You might also want to consider adding electrolyte solution to their fresh water for a few days. One brand is Sav-a-chick. I have seen others mentions using water downed Gaterade, but I have not tried this.

They also need some heat source to keep them happy & healthy. We made a simple brooder box for chicks out of a cardboard box with newspaper on the bottom & pine shavings (from pet or feed store) on top of that. You might want to consider a tall box (at least 24") or other habitat because they can jump/fly rather high by 2 weeks of age. We put wire mesh on top for air ventilation & to prevent escape.

Keep warm, keep dry, keep box & water clean, feed properly & they will love you for it:D

Good luck!

Their doing a little better! Made my mom stop feeding them chips, and now we just feed them starters and dried oatmeal pieces. I'm going to start working on keeping them in a big box or area specifically for them. They are still driving everyone crazy with their crying, the only time they don't seem to cry is when their eating.

Here they are! Chanel and Nugget. Don't know their breed or how old they are
hmm.png

6opwt0.jpg

smile.png

They are crying because they are cold. Chicks are used to wandering short distances and then they run to Mama for warmth, and she covers them with her body and wings until they warm up. Then they go play again.

When you are holding them, it's the only time they are warm enough! They need to have a heating pad or warm lamp, because they should have something about 100 degrees to go to for warmth. You'll hear them stop crying right away. If you give them a heating pad and a stuffed animal in the box, they'll quiet right down and you will all be able to stop going nuts about the shrieking.

Good luck!

Remember they are babies and babies need special care love. You are doing right by being concerned. They look perfectly healthy to me.. such cuties.
smile.png
I agree with everyone here. They need that warmth.

Thank you for all the help so far! They are very healthy and strong and I hope to keep them that way! I have figured out that what they are lacking is warmth! While they were crying I put them by me bundled up and they fell asleep, then they went to eat, then they came back crying so I did the same thing and they were fine. I made a makeshift coop right by the window by the sunlight and inside it I put some toys and I have a light above it, also I have a mini roost for them cause lately they've been roosting on my arm and on the edge of their boxes. I'm getting the hang of things
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom