Weird poop??? Maybe kidney failure?? :( *graphic poop pics*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DoveStar, Feb 22, 2015.

1. DoveStar

DoveStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Chandler, AZ
    Hello, I own a small backyard flock of six chickens; two easter eggers, one orpington, one australorp, one silkie, and one golden sex-link. Four are about six months old and the other two are only about three months old. One of my easter eggers (six months old) is my sweet baby girl, my favorite. [​IMG] However, recently she has begun producing these weird, watery poops... At first I thought that she was just drinking a lot of water to cool off, but it is not even hot here! The past few weeks have been in the 70's and low 80's. [​IMG] I looked at the famous poop chart, and one looked like the normal poop in 90 degree heat, and the other looks like the poop from a chicken who might have kidney problems. [​IMG] She has been producing poops like these for the past couple days.

Here are her poops:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone know what has caused this? Or how I can fix it? [​IMG]

Thank you,
    Amber

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would take in a large sample of her droppings tomorrow to test for coccidiosis, worms, and bacteria. How is she doing as far as eating, activity level, and being alert? Valbazen and SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are 2 very good wormers to use. Probiotics in her water may help her gut bacteria get back to normal. Probios Powder is easy to find at feed stores.

3. DoveStar

Apr 13, 2013
    Chandler, AZ
    Where should I take the sample in to? There are no vets in my area that treat poultry. :/ Also, how do I collect a sample...? Can I pick it off of the ground, or will it be contaminated then? Do I just need to follow her around and try to catch the droppings? Thank you so much! Sorry for all the questions, I'm a new chicken mom. :)
    She is acting completely normal, very alert and friendly, and have seen her eating a few times when I was out there. (But to be honest, I don't really know when they are eating because the feeder is inside the coop, where they also like to go for shade/etc.)
    Awesome! I will look for those when I go to the store today or tomorrow. :)

Thanks,
    Amber

4. Ila88

Ila88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    I had this problem some months ago and it was, indeed, worms. I just collected some poop out of the coop and took to the vet. It didn't cost very much to have it analyzed. I suspect even if they don't normally treat birds, they can still analyze feces for worm eggs.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you have a regular vet, they may agree to do a fecal float. Even if you don't, any vet's office can be called to check if they will do one. They are becoming more strict about doing things like this without seeing the patient. My regular vet will do a lot of things out the ordinary, but his partners are not so cooperative. You can separate her in a cage overnight, and either use a puppy pad or a towel to gather some fresh droppings. If you can get a cecal dropping included, that will be good. Cecal poops are the shiny, sticky poops that occur about every 10 times they go. Dosage of SafeGuard or Valbazen is 1/2 ml given orally, then repeat in 10 days. For the more rare worms, Safeguard can be given 5 days in a row, but Valbazen just requires the 2 doses (10 days apart.)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  6. DoveStar

Apr 13, 2013
    Chandler, AZ
    Awesome! Hopefully she does have worms, since it is so easy to treat. :) @Eggcessive alright, I will do that; is it alright if I keep her in the garage in the cage? Because it gets pretty cold down here at night. Thank you for the dosages, I will buy safeguard when I go to the store today. :)

7. Ila88

Ila88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Keep her warm. Can you plug in a heater?

8. DoveStar

Apr 13, 2013
    Chandler, AZ
    Yep! I have one from when I raised them as chicks. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by