Weird poop (picture included)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nihal, Apr 20, 2017.

1. nihal

nihal Just Hatched

Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't click the link, but from the description it sounds like it could be pasty butt. If it's sticking around the chick's vent, it's important to gently remove it as soon as possible or the chick may die. You can soak the bottom in lukewarm water and slowly wipe it off. Try not to pull off any down or tear the chick's skin - it's very delicate at this stage. Once the poop is off, you can apply something like petroleum jelly, olive oil to act as a lubricant and protect the area. To prevent it, you can feed probiotics like yogurt or add a probiotic supplement to the chick's water (like Sav-A-Chick or raw apple cider vinegar).

Here's a thread you may find informative: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/827/help-pasty-butt.

What are you feeding your chick?

3. nihal

nihal Just Hatched

Apr 19, 2017
    I am feeding it mostly rice (half crushed) ,egg white(not much)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  4. FoodFreedomNow

5. FoodFreedomNow

Does your chick have a heat source? At that age, they need to be kept warm, and chilling can cause pasty butt, too.

6. nihal

nihal Just Hatched

Apr 19, 2017
    chick starter is not available around here ...
    It is either playing in my room or sitting with me(it keeps running towards me and sitting on me) , I put a stuffed animal and stuff that would keep it warm when it sleeps in its small box at night(in my room so it is not chill at all .. But if its amust I'll make him a heat source ...
    I checked his vent and its box this morning and its poop is back to normal I think

7. MageofMist

MageofMist Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    Does anywhere sell gamebird feed pellets where you live? I have been using that to feed my chicken chicks and quail chicks and they are growing up healthy and strong. If not, maybe check Amazon or Ebay as feed is sold there too. Sometimes on warm days, the poop can be somewhat watery due to the chicks drinking more too.
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html
    A chicken poop chart.

The chick does need a heat source during the night at least, my chicks keep warm when playing with me by snuggling me, but when I am busy or at night, they go in the brooder next to the electric fire. Make sure the chick doesn't get too hot though, if it starts panting, move the heat source away a little until the chick is comfortable.

Sometimes pasty butt can occur even when the chick is healthy, I have one who had it despite all the others being fine and I gave it a warm soak and wipe-down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by