Weird pre egg laying behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JCE123, Feb 22, 2015.

1. JCE123

JCE123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    Hi! One of my hens has a very strange custom, I think, for when she is getting ready to lay. She is almost a year, has been laying well for months. I just got a coop cam recently, so now I can see what's going on in there without disrupting them. So, when she feels the egg coming down, she begins pacing the coop and looking into each of the 8 nesting boxes, over and over, almost frantically. Like she just can't decide where to go. All the boxes are nice, with shavings and Timothy hay, big enough for her. She does this every time! Is she just neurotically indecisive or is there something lacking in my nest box atmosphere? Should I add curtains? Lavender to help her calm down? Is this totally wacky? LOL!

2. olliegrow

olliegrow Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2014
    lol shes upset abut the new crib I believe...put some golf balls I their and she should see them and lay her eggs next to them. A curtain couldn't hurt on 1 of the boxes so if they want to use it they can. Mine didn't like the closed nesting boxes for some reason, they like a view when laying..lol...spoiled

3. JCE123

JCE123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    Ok, I just put 'curtains' on a couple boxes, lol! It's not a new coop, it's a new coop-cam (camera). I can't put ceramic eggs or golf balls in there, I have several silkies that go broody at the drop of a hat! She know where to put her egg, she just frets about it every laying. Maybe she's just a weirdo :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by