hunterlj

Chirping
Nov 6, 2016
So I’ve got a couple eggs in the past week from my coturnix Quail with some really weird coloration. They don’t have a whole lot of spots and they look kind of cracked but they aren’t?

Attachments

• 67A1477B-C81F-4350-B70E-889F2CBC4A37.jpeg
    67A1477B-C81F-4350-B70E-889F2CBC4A37.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 131DCB4A-D50D-4FA8-975C-86DF73B9633E.jpeg
    131DCB4A-D50D-4FA8-975C-86DF73B9633E.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 802F3333-A638-41F1-B803-4B337DBBD4D2.jpeg
    802F3333-A638-41F1-B803-4B337DBBD4D2.jpeg
    329.1 KB · Views: 68
  • A5D6DED7-AEFB-4A29-B1A4-AAAE51B0DACA.jpeg
    A5D6DED7-AEFB-4A29-B1A4-AAAE51B0DACA.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 65
  • CA7DEC82-D536-4483-9742-6B287E500FE2.jpeg
    CA7DEC82-D536-4483-9742-6B287E500FE2.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 64
I would not eat those. I also would not feed those back to the quail (if you do that). They looked rotten. I mean do your quail live outdoors? Perhaps they ate a bug or something, they shouldn't have. I would recommend to throw those away, Just keep checking on the quail and hopefully the eggs will go back to normal.

How long have your quail been laying? Sometimes when towards the end of laying the eggs will look that way...either molt time or already peaked at laying.

I would not eat those. I also would not feed those back to the quail (if you do that). They looked rotten. I mean do your quail live outdoors? Perhaps they ate a bug or something, they shouldn't have. I would recommend to throw those away, Just keep checking on the quail and hopefully the eggs will go back to normal.
Yes my Quail live outdoors but I have them in a nice little enclosure up off the ground. I check on them when I get home from work and then again periodically until I go to bed. I know they aren’t rotten from being left out too long or anything and I don’t think any crazy bugs would be out and about specifically right now with temps around freezing. I was thinking that it could be because some of my hens should just about now start laying?

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

This issue looks like its being caused by a couple of things, both of them fairly related. Stress and or poor nutrition. What is your roo to hen ratio? If you don't have enough hens for your roo and he over mates a couple of hens, this will cause enough stress, dehydration and nutritional issuses for them to lay rough shelled eggs. Over mated hens can die from over active Coturnix males, very stressful on their bodies.

If its not a roo to hen issue, it could be due to bullying at the feeder or waterer because there is too much competition. Make sure to give each bird 2 sq feet of space, this way you can have extra space for more feed and water stations. If the higher ranking birds feel anxiety about the food and water, they will guard these areas and run off lower ranking birds.

On the lines of stress, are they being harassed by critters of the night? I once had a Bob hen that would lay yolks the day after coons came prowling that night. I had to make changes in the aviary so she was no longer stressed, she was able to put a shell on there after.

Are these young birds? First time layers need time to get their egg machines in gear and can lay funky eggs at first. Quail are seasonal layers and many don't lay at all in the winter, some lay sparsely. Old hens are notorious for laying poor shelled eggs. Shell glands can be defective at hatch or go bad in later years.

Make sure they have clean water every day, are on a 24% to 26% protein feed, and crushed oystershell for the hens.

So, just some ideas to ponder here. Good luck I hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

This issue looks like its being caused by a couple of things, both of them fairly related. Stress and or poor nutrition. What is your roo to hen ratio? If you don't have enough hens for your roo and he over mates a couple of hens, this will cause enough stress, dehydration and nutritional issuses for them to lay rough shelled eggs. Over mated hens can die from over active Coturnix males, very stressful on their bodies.

If its not a roo to hen issue, it could be due to bullying at the feeder or waterer because there is too much competition. Make sure to give each bird 2 sq feet of space, this way you can have extra space for more feed and water stations. If the higher ranking birds feel anxiety about the food and water, they will guard these areas and run off lower ranking birds.

On the lines of stress, are they being harassed by critters of the night? I once had a Bob hen that would lay yolks the day after coons came prowling that night. I had to make changes in the aviary so she was no longer stressed, she was able to put a shell on there after.

Are these young birds? First time layers need time to get their egg machines in gear and can lay funky eggs at first. Quail are seasonal layers and many don't lay at all in the winter, some lay sparsely. Old hens are notorious for laying poor shelled eggs. Shell glands can be defective at hatch or go bad in later years.

Make sure they have clean water every day, are on a 24% to 26% protein feed, and crushed oystershell for the hens.

So, just some ideas to ponder here. Good luck I hope this helps! :)
Thank you! I do need to send one of my Roos to freezer Camp.. I have two Roos and 6 hens in a 16 square foot pen. I had just a trio but I got additional birds about a month ago. The new birds are just now starting to lay and I believe that’s where the funky eggs are coming from. I was told the birds I bought were under 1 year old but I’m not sure. Everyone is getting Dumor 24% chick starter (non-medicated) with crushed egg shell.

Thank you! I do need to send one of my Roos to freezer Camp.. I have two Roos and 6 hens in a 16 square foot pen. I had just a trio but I got additional birds about a month ago. The new birds are just now starting to lay and I believe that’s where the funky eggs are coming from. I was told the birds I bought were under 1 year old but I’m not sure. Everyone is getting Dumor 24% chick starter (non-medicated) with crushed egg shell.

Yes 2 roos is too many in your set up. Your girls will be much happier and healthier if you remove one of them. This should clean up the eggs. :)

Enjoy your quail! :)

Back
Top Bottom