1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird question about blood and incubating..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wolf-Kim, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    At what point in time does a chick absorb the bloodvessels seen through the membrane?

For example, when you look inside an unhatched egg and see what looks to be a fully formed chick still inside it's membrane(not the one the circles the entire egg just under the shell, but the one immediately around the chick). The membrane is still spider-webbed with bright red bloodvessels.

If I chick dies at this point are the blood vessels still bright red? Or would they change colors once the chick dies?

I'm wondering because the chick I mentioned earlier in which I broke into it's air sac to help it, has not moved at all from what I've seen. The blood vessels still seem bright red, which make me wonder if it's really dead.

Thanks!
    -Kim

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I just had 2 eggs hatch and one didn't. They were under my hen. I finally candled the unhatched one, and there were red vessels, but the chick was dead. Fully grown. I don't know why.

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    [​IMG] Oh okay. I guess he didn't make it then.. [​IMG]

I'll wait a while longer before I take him out of the bator...*sigh* Of all the birds I could have lost this hatching season, it had to be my peafowl.. heh, it was suppose to be the big finale of my hatching season.. guess not.. Sorry, just a bit upset..

Thanks for the help.. I was hoping the red vessel meant it was still living and had a "chance"..

Thanks again! I really appreciate everyone's help.
    -Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by