Weird question about hand turning eggs....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by johnmayersquare, Dec 7, 2008.

1. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Do you have to completely turn/flip them (meaning 180 degrees) every time you turn them?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Nope.....they just have to be gently tipped from side to side if you put them in egg cartons. That is the way I do it and it is much easier than having them lying flat.

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    A turner only turns your eggs 1/3 of a turn six times a day so a very slight turn is enough. The less you handle them the better because in the first few days they are pretty fragile and you could harm them.

4. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Typically, hand turning with an X marked on one side and an O on the other they are turned 180 degrees each time. Back and forth, not continuously rolled in the same direction. That having been said most auto turners do not do a 180 degree turn. They are usually held on end and rocked from side to side considerably less than 180 degrees.
    db

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I put mine in egg cartons the first 18 days, and just tip the whole incubator (saves me having to open it too much) worked ok on the first batch - am on batch 2 right now.

meri

6. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Quote:I'm doing the egg carton method. It really makes the most sense to me and reduces the amount of time the incubator is open by so much vs hand turning individual eggs.

7. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Quote:Neat idea, as well!

8. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Neat idea, as well!

I am thinking of trying that on my next hatch in the SPRING.....no, I will not touch the bator until Spring......anyway, it sounds like a good idea.

9. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Actually, I got the idea on here [​IMG] someone else was doing it that way, and I thought it sounded a lot easier than rolling 40 eggs and doing it quickly and carefully.

this time I've only got 15 eggs in, though, so it wouldn't have been so bad [​IMG]

meri

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2008
  10. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Thanks you guys! I thought so..........but I wanted to double check in case there was some "reason" they needed to be completely turned over! [​IMG]

The carton idea really does make sense....Then you can turn them all at once and less hastily, since you are trying to do it so quickly to let less heat out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by