Weird question...chicken leash...lol

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Frozen Feathers, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Okay, so how would I make a chicken leash? I don't want to hurt my birds, so how could I make on that would do no damage? Are their any pre-made chicken leashes?

2. silkiebeginer

silkiebeginer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    I know that they make something that goes around the chickens foot that is like a leash. I don't know where to get them or what they are called, but i have seen them on peoples chickens around here. To keep then in they yard with no fence.

Jennifer

3. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Like a tether? I think I would like something more like a harness...

4. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    They make a leash and harness for parrots. They should come in a size big enough for chickens. I will tell you trying to get even a hand fed and tame parrot to used to one was a comedy in itself. It looked a like a feathered yo-yo of some kind.

The harness part is just like a dog or cat harness with a dee ring on the top of the back to attach the leash. They have two small snaps that hook together on the birds chest.

Google parrot harness or aviator harness will bring you to several sites with bird harnesses. Or check out www.featheredfamily.com/harness.htm This site has directions to make your own.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  5. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Are you wanting to take your chicken for a walk??
    we have some for rabbits, but it tells you its not for wlaking them like a dog its just to keep them from running away. its a harness type vest, but I think a chicken would loose its balance if its wings were restrained. Quick to the patent office. could you hook up a couple chickens and have them pull a small wagon???? Someone on her "chariot races" chickens but cant think of name.

6. dragonlili

dragonlili Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    N Middle TN
    I've seen pictures of a chicken apron that had a leash attached to it. I guess there were some kind of rings to attach the leash to [​IMG]

7. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
  8. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:My cockatiel would bite the hello out of me if I put that thing on him.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  9. ashbourn

ashbourn New Egg

Aug 8, 2007
    If you want to train them to walk with you a leash looped around the body, behind the wings and in front of the legs works. Chickens will not like it at first because it is different but they might grow into it, I would not trust it to hold them if I was not around.
    Joe

10. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Thanks for the replies. Actually I'd just like one to bring a chicken or 2 to my in-laws house...just as a funny. [​IMG] I don't want to walk one...just have it somewhere else and not have to worry about it running away. I think the parrot one would work(thanks aj94 and verthandi for the links) with one of my Silkies, which is who I'd take with me...they don't freak out too easily.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by