Weird Question!!! Roo and Hatching of Eggs...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Kat's Silly Chickens, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Kat's Silly Chickens

Kat's Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    My mom's Sultan Melody laid her 1st egg today, we are hoping Sunshine her roo helped in fertilizing it. Melody got off the egg and just left it sit in the nest. When I noticed it, it was still warm, so I took it to the coop where our LF Que is broody and sitting on fertile eggs. While I was out there, the Sultan roo went in and sat on the nest. Mom told me Sunshine was pouting and wondering where the egg went. My mom thinks the roo will sit on the eggs and help the hen take care of them til they hatch.
    I'm in no way experienced with Sultans, but is it possible?
    She wants me to leave anymore eggs Melody lays in the sunroom pen so the roo can help incubate them. I tried to explain that roos don't help hatch eggs, and if they are fertile and Melody or Goldie don't stay on the nest as much as possible the eggs won't hatch.
    Should I just let mom do as she pleases and take the chance of losing possible fertile eggs.

I guess it's a good thing I have Que hatching the Silkie and Mille Fleur eggs, Mallary gave me.

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Kat's Silly Chickens :

My mom's Sultan Melody laid her 1st egg today, we are hoping Sunshine her roo helped in fertilizing it. Melody got off the egg and just left it sit in the nest. When I noticed it, it was still warm, so I took it to the coop where our LF Que is broody and sitting on fertile eggs. While I was out there, the Sultan roo went in and sat on the nest. Mom told me Sunshine was pouting and wondering where the egg went. My mom thinks the roo will sit on the eggs and help the hen take care of them til they hatch.
    I'm in no way experienced with Sultans, but is it possible?
    She wants me to leave anymore eggs Melody lays in the sunroom pen so the roo can help incubate them. I tried to explain that roos don't help hatch eggs, and if they are fertile and Melody or Goldie don't stay on the nest as much as possible the eggs won't hatch.
    Should I just let mom do as she pleases and take the chance of losing possible fertile eggs.

I guess it's a good thing I have Que hatching the Silkie and Mille Fleur eggs, Mallary gave me.

Hi there! If Sultan Roo's brood, they are the only Roo in the chicken world who does. LOL
    Your hens wont brood until they are 'broody'. I have hens who lay all the time but until they get that look in their eye [​IMG] they wont sit.

I always take the eggs until I notice that right after they lay, they stay on the nest. And when you come near them, they get all puffy and make a hissing kind of noise.

Hope this helps.​

3. Kat's Silly Chickens

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Yes helps me. I knew roos don't brood, but getting my mom (who is 69, and likes to baby her Sultans) to understand that until Melody is ready to brood she won't set on her eggs. She'd rather take the chance of losing possible fertile eggs than take the eggs from Melody and let Que hatch it. How long after they are laid will they go bad?

I have her 1st egg out with Que, don't know if it's fertile but it's a try.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  4. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    I read on here that someone once had a Silkie Roo incubate eggs and rear the chicks [​IMG] but I do think its an unlikely scenario... Maybe, leave the next egg in the nest, and the rest of that day and the next you and/or your mom could do "spot checks" and peek in there to see if anyones sitting on them... if no one is or she lays another egg and neither is on the nest when you find it... then you'd have to take them and tell mom her theory is a bust. [​IMG] I think maybe 1 or 2 days of off/on incubating is as much as I would leave it. And at least then your ony risking one egg. [​IMG]

5. Kat's Silly Chickens

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    That's a good idea Squishy, but then it'll mean they will have to stay in the sundroom a whole day to prove it to mom. And they love going outside so much they complain loudly (trust me we've had cooler weather this past week, and they tortured us).
    I can see the pen from where I sit in the livingroom, and can watch them most of the day.

6. Kat's Silly Chickens

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Oh, even more weird [​IMG] . My dad just found an egg in the Sultan and Japanese Bantams outside run. No clue which laid it, but they were just ignoring the egg while they were eating. The color of the egg is a cream color not quite white.

7. Squishy

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    Can Que hande that many? Maybe you need an incubator! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Kat's Silly Chickens

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Que is a standard cochin and has 11 small fertile eggs under her so far and 2 chicks. If Bar-b would got broody I'd have 2 cochins on eggs, but she just lays her eggs and walks away from them. And the 2 barred rocks do the same as Bar-b lay them and walk away. I'll keep adding them to our 'egg-Que-bator' and hope she continues to hatch them. I can't afford an incubator at this time, they are $40 without the turner, we're on a tight income being retired/disabled.
    Thanks for your help and humor, I needed it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  9. Squishy

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Aw.. I know what you mean there...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by