1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird question...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kburen, May 23, 2008.

1. kburen

kburen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    I keep reading everyone say how interesting it is that many grocery store eggs are fertile and people hatch them. Everyone keeps saying "it's a cheap way to get hatching eggs!". For those who don't know, I'm "trying" to hatch eggs in my Kindergarten classroom at school and not having a lot of luck. Anyway....I bought a dozen eggs from a man not far from my house that should be fertile because he's got a rooster (no guarantee though) for $1.50....one of my team-mates did the same thing and got more eggs for her class and paid just under $2.00. Is that cheap or something?

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    is it all brown eggs? cuz if so yea it's very cheap. where i live at anyway cuz here brown eggs in stores are $4.00 a dozen so i buy them from my uncle he sells his for $1.50 also for eating or hatching

3. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    2.00 is a good buy for a dozen fertile eggs.... I have never heard of grocery store eggs being fertile? First off they do not have roosters in the comercial laying farms...Though I guess one might be able to slip into one of the farms and be mistaken for a hen??? Even if one of these eggs were fertile the possibility of it being able to grow an embryo is close to 0... They wash the eggs, dry the eggs, and do other things to stop bacteria like xrays which would kill any embryo.... Your cheapest and best bet would be to get the eggs for $2 from the farmer....Good Luck. [​IMG]

4. kburen

kburen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Yes, I got 12 brown eggs that are "probably" fertile because he has a rooster. My teammate got 12 brown eggs for somewhere between $1.50 & $2. I thought that was a lot cheaper than in stores....I just didn't understand why, if a lot of farmers sell them for this price ($1.50 or $2) then why people think it's cheaper to find fertile eggs at the grocery store, when it seems to me like it's A LOT better chance of getting chicks from farmers eggs than grocery store eggs.

5. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Not everyone has easy access to farmers with fertile eggs maybe? I think it is also the novelty of being about to buy eggs in a store and get them to hatch.

6. tat2edlady

tat2edlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    I read a post on here not sure where but the egg's in question were fertile because that was how it was being sold in the store not just any egg's you get from the store will work.

Mindy

7. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Yeah, what Mindy said. Hi Mindy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by