Weird rattle in New Pair

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeritageHenNut, May 1, 2016.

1. HeritageHenNut

HeritageHenNut Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2015
    Valhalla, AB, Canada
    I bought an adult pair of Salmon Faverolles yesterday, they are currently in quarantine away from my flock. Seemed good yesterday, but this morning the hen has a bit of a rattle when she breathes. Both are just a year old, 2015 hatch. Hen is bright and alert, eating and drinking (if a little unsure of her surroundings). I can't see any discharge either from her nostrils or eyes. Any ideas what might be going on?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Good move on quarantining them.
    It could be a number or respiratory illnesses.
    Sometimes an illness can present itself when stressed, such as coming to a new home.

If it were me I would consider contacting your local agricultural agency or vet to see if they can perform a test to see if she has a contagious illness before introducing her to your flock.
    The results of the test would determine how to go forward, unfortunately if it were something that could/will be contracted by all flock members and make them "carriers for life" some hard decisions may have to be made.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

1 person likes this.
  3. HeritageHenNut

HeritageHenNut Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2015
    Valhalla, AB, Canada
    Yeah, my background is in horses and I was always taught to quarantine new animals so at least they've been nowhere near my flock yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by