Weird respiratory/voice issue with mother hen. Please help!

SilverPhoenix

Bantam Fanatic
10 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Penn Valley, CA
I have a mother serama hen who is currently caring for 6 older chicks. She has been perfectly fine health-wise up until now, but then these odd symptoms suddenly struck a few days ago... In my 16+ years of having chickens, I've never seen this before!

- She seems to have lost her voice, and can only make a very tiny whispering sound at the most.

- She is having some difficulty breathing. Not outright panting, but opening her mouth a little while breathing. This is at all times, not just part of the time. You can hear her breath going in and out faintly.

- She is not eating. She is drinking, and is capable of swallowing, but seems to have no appetite.

Otherwise I can't find any symptoms of illness. No nasal discharge, no sneezing, she's perfectly alert, and her feathers are in tip-top shape. The issue also does not seem to be in her lungs--it sounds like it's in her windpipe or something. I've felt up and down her neck excessively, but can't seem to feel anything wrong. I gave her some bread with vegetable oil on it, and that didn't seem to do much.

I'd be very grateful if anyone has suggestions of what to do! I'm actually going away Thursday morning and will be gone five days, leaving the birds in the care of my mother (who will not force-feed her twice a day as I would do if I was around), and I'm very concerned--particularly because she's not eating of her own free will. Her chicks will be so upset if something happens to her, as will I. :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom