Weird Roo dance!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brandibaby23, Nov 30, 2009.

1. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    I have an EE Roo, now not sure if he thinks i'm a girl chicken or if he's developing an attitude. When I go outside he comes running, and I talk to him, I call him Sassy pants, LOL when I talk to him he lays toward the ground with his wings tilted toward me and then stomps his feet, then if I put my hand down he pecks it, holds on and stomps his feet and flattens to the ground and holds his wings funny. I am very amused, I laugh at him, but hope he isn't gonna start to be mean. Any Ideas what is going on with him I have 2 other roo's one dominate and one big baby.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Maybe he thinks you're sexy.

Is he tapdancing for the hottie with treats, or looking like he is gonna charge?

Mine tapdances (one wing down) for the ladies, but snubs me big time.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    That's his dominance dance, I think. My little roo does this dance for his ladies, and he also does it for me, too. In the case of the hens, I think he's impressing them with his vigor so they'll mate with him. In my case, I think he's showing off so that I don't get any ideas about taking over his flock from him.

My rooster is all of a pound and a half, so yes, it's pretty funny.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    He thinks you're pretty and wants you to squat for him. Give him a little boot in the fanny when he does it. Otherwise, he will be learning that he is dominate of you.

5. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    I was thinking this. I always pick him up and pet him when he does this. and he doesn't seem to mind being picked up. He then goes all around me making a soft noise pecking at the ground I have see the mother hens do this for their babies. LOL He's a weirdy, I just love him he makes me chuckle everytime I go out side.[​IMG]

6. aimeeinwv

aimeeinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

that's what a Roo does when it's trying to dominate. He'll do that to the hens too. Ours does it to my son & husband, but not me.. cause I give him a lil foot nudge to make him remember who's boss! He's kinda trying to "round you up" - you should see though, when he does it to my husband, my husband drops and arm, leans and does the same. How funny!! I laugh my behind off!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by