Weird Rooster talk?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sgsf, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    So I walked out to the coop, opened the door, and one of our little Roosters (2-3 months old, but baby size just about) got scared and flew up inside the inner coop. I was checking on the chickens, and then I went to go pick up the BB Red Rooster (I just wanted to hold him for a second), and he ran as fast as he could to the back of the inner coop, so I couldn't get him. He started making a weird noise, I've never heard it before. It was like a short crow, but not finished (Something like "BWAAAAK"). And then soon as he did the noise, the other rooster started doing it repeatedly making the same noise, as if he was replying. The BB Red rooster didn't do it as much as the other rooster that was in the outer coop, but he did it quite a few times as a reply.

The second rooster is a Black Cochin Bantam:
    [​IMG]

The BB Red rooster is the very small one:
    [​IMG]

2. petesgirl

petesgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Seattle
    What handsome boys! That big of comb and waddles at 3 months?!

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    They were startled- that's a warning bagawk. As they get older you'll notice they have a very complex vocabulary.

...or maybe you won't...maybe I spend waaaaaayytoo much time with my chickens... [​IMG]

4. RECE*2C*

RECE*2C* Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    oswego
    i want a tiny chicken he is so cute... ha ha

5. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Thanks for the replies/information.

And yeah, he is 3 months old and he has barely grown. I think we have a midget rooster. [​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I'm under the same chair as ChooksChick - I do notice all the different sounds and what they're used for. It IS a language with its own vocabulary.

Wait until your rooster(s) growl. Whoaaa.... that sound comes from a CHICKEN??? It surely does! Lends credence to the "descended from dinosaurs" concept. (Which I totally believe.)

7. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Quote:I'm under the same chair as ChooksChick - I do notice all the different sounds and what they're used for. It IS a language with its own vocabulary.

Wait until your rooster(s) growl. Whoaaa.... that sound comes from a CHICKEN??? It surely does! Lends credence to the "descended from dinosaurs" concept. (Which I totally believe.)

I believe I've heard one of my rooster growl, but only two times. I've had him for about 4 months now, and as I was taking my new puppy outside to use the restroom - I kept hearing growls. She's too young to do this, and I know it couldn't have been her. I looked in the woods, and there was no other dog - my neighboor's dog wasn't around either. So I never really knew what that sound was, until you just stated it in your post.

Thanks. [​IMG]

Edit: Can someone point me towards the direction that tells me what the sounds mean (link/url to a page)? It would be very helpful. Thanks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by