1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird rooster???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by summerb76, Dec 5, 2008.

1. summerb76

summerb76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    Is it strange for my EE roo to be crowing during the night. We hear him during the day, in the evenings, and even at 11pm. What is going on?

2. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    I too am curious about this. My rooster has been crowing at 1AM lately... [​IMG]

3. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

If it is true that crowing is their way of reminding intruders that this is their territory, maybe they are sensing a presence of something.

4. andorraclaim

andorraclaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    East Austin, Texas
    My New Hampshire crows at 2 and 4 am sometimes. Never one or the other, always both. For a long time I thought the lights from the house were messing with him but even with adjustments he still would occasionally do it. I then thought perhaps predators were messing up his schedule. Even with the dog sleeping outside he'd still do it. Well, after staying up one night I discovered it was actually the rooster down the street who was crowing first. Now my neighbor and I are trying to figure out why his Bantam Game feels the need to crow at 2 and 4 am.

As silly as it sounds we live in the ghetto and we are thinking the long whine of police sirens are causing it but I don't know how we can stop that. Point being, only a rooster knows why he crows. Sometimes they are just punks.

5. summerb76

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    My guess would be Freckles is just a punk then. We have checked the yard and saw nothing around the coop. My neighbors have quiet roos at night so him being a punk is the last option hahaha. Thx

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Do you have a light on in the coop at night ??

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My EE crows periodically at night...he is only 19 weeks old. If I walk out to check the coop after dark he goes off so I am sure they sense things outside and crow. But ultimately...rooster crows when rooster wants to.

8. summerb76

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    There is no light in the coop. We do have an outside light kinda close by, maybe he is hearing things or maybe hes scared of the dark. Maybe he likes to crow at night.haha

9. Roos crow at night for NON specific purposes. Sometimes a neighbor bird on the roost will move and wake them. Waking means crowing to a roo. It really is not so uncommon to hear them at night. I play a radio at night in the barn. This seems to quiet eveyone down and they are quite used to it. Soothing classical or something on this order does the trick. I have heard that chickies can see infrared light and think the sun is coming up. I do not know if mercury or sodium outside lights have infrared, but my guess is they do.

10. summerb76

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    Thank you for all the answers!!! I love my rooster crowing and it doesn't bother me at night, I was just curious. Thx again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by