Weird scabs on combs PICS!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jessicalynn927, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Jessicalynn927

Jessicalynn927 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Adair County, Kentucky
    My chickens are starting to get scabs on there combs what could be causing this?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    It could be fowl pox or injuries from fighting but without pics it's hard to tell.

3. Jessicalynn927

Sep 13, 2011
    Adair County, Kentucky
    Ill take some pics

4. Jessicalynn927

Sep 13, 2011
    Adair County, Kentucky
  5. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
  6. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    Quote:Good luck, but I am thinking it looks like FP also. Sorry : (

7. Jessicalynn927

Sep 13, 2011
    Adair County, Kentucky
    what happens when they get fowl pox will they all die?. I separated my turkeys and the ones that didnt have any scabs on there combs

8. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    Quote:Young chicks and older or weakened adults could die, but not likely. The problem is if the sores get bad in their mouth then they wont want to eat/drink. That is my understanding anyway. You did great by seperating them. If it is FP, they will be carriers for life. Hopefully, they are just scabs from fighting! I guess time will tell!

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

This is what my BR comb looked like after being pecked when we brought in new chickens. I put peck-away cream on it, and it's healed up. Could just be dried blood..

I like to be optimistic [​IMG]

ETA: Definitely doesn't look like the link above! Wow.. That's not warty, it just looks like scabs or dried blood from fighting to me!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  10. Jessicalynn927

Sep 13, 2011
    Adair County, Kentucky
    Im scared its fp I looked threw all my chickens and I can see little black dots on there combs but not all of the black dots looks like scabs so im going to wait it out and see what happens I put Iodine on the red roosters comb and checked his mouth and his mouth looked fine. About a week ago I traded my hog for 14 chickens and then I put them with my chickens with just chicken wire separating them, my chickens didnt have this problem till I got my new chickens. The white rooster I think im going to have a problem treating he one of my new ones so im not sure if hes easy to handle and he as really big spurs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by