Weird situation gets weirder

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stilldeb, Dec 8, 2011.

1. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I have been trying to reintegrate my EE, Snickers, back into the flock after being in the garage for awhile to grow out feathers (she was severely naked and wounded). She was having some problems getting reaquainted, and I got some good suggestions about staying out there with her and helping her readjust, etc. So today was a pretty nice day and Snickers and I went outside. Soon as we got outside, everybody started sounding their "alarm sound" (I have 20 other chickens, all Bantams) and all the roos (four) started crowing. It was the strangest thing ever, and she was scared. I ended up putting her in an empty/vacant coop by herself for the day so she could get some fresh air/sunshine. I can't believe they are all treating her so badly!

2. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    Chickens seem to have pretty short memories, so they may not have recognized her. It's not a bad approach to keep her in a separate cage for awhile as they get used to her again - that way they may not pick on her as much and everyone can get used to each other again.

3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    What you can always do is take a girl or two from the lower end of your pecking order and put them in with her so they become a familiar with eachother, and after a few days ad another hen or two so that you have 4-6 girls in there and then let them out.

4. six_eclectic_chickens

six_eclectic_chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Idk about the short memories thing. We gave an OEGB away, now a few years later we have her back and she seemed to know where all he previous favorite spots in the yard were. Also, I trained a hen to jump for food, but even after we had been away for a week she would jump just as high as before (it took persuasion to get her to fly to a height of 3' in the beginning).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by