Weird situation, plesase help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Atopp, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Atopp

Atopp New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    Hello,

I have 6 pullets that I've raised since they were 1 week old. My flock consists of 2 RIR, 2 California Whites, 1 silkie, and 1 white crested polish. 1 RIR has recently started laying eggs, (shes been laying for about 3 weeks 1 egg a day And 1 CW has recently strated laying as well for a week straight, 1 egg a day. Keep in mind, that they've been laying regularly in their nesting boxes inside of their coop.

I live in an area where other people own chickens as well. *HERE'S WHEN IT GETS WEIRD*, one evening when I was outside with the flock, I heard a rooster crow. I though nothing of it since, like I said there are several people in my neighborhood who own chickens. But I started to hear the crowing come closer. Again, Though nothing of it, and I decided to go inside my house for abou 30 minutes. (I for got to mention this, but both my neighbors that live next tooDONT own chickens). I decided to come outside again to check on the girls and they were all huddled and were staring at something that was on the opposite side of our fence, on the neighbors's yard. As i got closer I saw a ROOSTER! I began to panick because i have read on several webbsites that you must be very careful on introducing a rooster to a flock. And I was also afraid he was gonna jump to our yard and create chaos with the hens. The rooster eventually left, but he did not return back to where he came form, instead he slept on a bush near my house, which makes me think he is an abondened rooster. The next day, it was the same deal. he spent the day on my neighbor's yard socializing with my hens. (please keep in mind that there is a fence in between them , so they can;t make physical contact) Then next day it was the same deal in the morning, but when I came back from runing some errands the rooster had jusmped the fence and was now in our yard, with our hens. I got a little scared but i saw that they were getting along great, so decided to let them be. The rooster has not been with us for about 2 weeks and hes doing really good with our hens. There has been no fighting, harsh pecking, etc.

Ever since the rooster came, he has been 'examining' our nesting boxes (2), and I guess he decided they were not safe for our hens, because they are no longer laying in the nesting boxes. They are now laying their eggs on wagon full of hay that just sits on our garage. This is not the place where I want my hens to be laying their eggs! I want to lay on the nesting boxes like before. Every now and then we will invite girls inside the coop and he would just sit on the nestiong box for 10 minutes,and then sometimes my RIR would sit next to him. But then they will leave the coop, and my laying RIR and CW will squack as loud as possible and they will take turns laying eggs on the wagon inside the garage. Also they've becoem quite competitive over this spot and wil sometimes fight over it. Also I'm becoming quite frustrated because my CW hasn't laid an egg in 2 days. She'll sometimes sit on the wagon when my RIR is on it, but no egg comes out.

So my question is this: How can I encourage the girls to lay on the nesting boxes again, and how can I get my CW to start laying again?

(p.s. when my chickens were laying in the nesting box they would absolutely hate it when another chicken went inside. For example when my RIR would lay on egg on the nesting box, then my CW would go inside to lay her egg on the second nesting box, she would scream and then CW will jsut wait patiently outside for her to be done. Is this normal for chickens not wanting other hens to lay in the same room?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Atopp, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Wow! That was quite a post! [​IMG] I will address some of the questions you asked.
    First of all, the biggest concern I would have had with the visiting rooster was him bringing diseases to your flock - that the he is necessarily carrying anything, but you never know. But since he's already been making regular visits, that horse is out of the barn, so to speak. Your hens were freaked about because the rooster is a newcomer and the rooster is usually the dominant bird - I'm sure he preened and displayed all his rooster moves before he hopped the fence looking for love. They may have stopped using the nesting boxes because there is always stress when a new member(s) enter the flock - plus he is likely breeding them so they are finding new places other than the hen house to lay because they don't want him in there. Unless he has become a permanent resident is there a way you can return to wherever he came from - and tell them to keep him there? That might be the fastest way to get things back to normal again.
    Your CW will eventually resume laying I would think (with or without the rooster in your flock). In fact, she may have layed somewhere secluded and you just haven't found the eggs yet. Check dark secluded areas around her range.
    About the loud squawking when sharing nest boxes - some hens are more territorial than others. I've had three hens sharing one box harmoniously at times and other times a single hen will squawk off any others who want to enter.
    And to get them laying back in the nest boxes, lock them in the coop with their food and water (no rooster) for 3-4 days - they should get back into the habit of laying where they're supposed to.
    Hope this advice helps. I'm sure others will chime in soon with additional ideas. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    could you cover up the hay wagon with tied down tarps, so no one can use it? All I can think of is to catch the rooster and confine him to a pen of his own (covered) so he isn't with your hens and you can come up with something to send him elsewhere.

4. Atopp

Atopp New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    THank you so, so, so much for replying! I know it was a lot of reading to do lol. Yes, I really do need quarantine or get rid of the rooster ASAP. Luckily my CW did lay a pretty good sized egg today. :D hopefully things will go back to normal soon.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Atopp [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've received some good advice so I'll just say hello!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by