Weird skin over feathers?????

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by pek, Dec 10, 2011.

1. pek

pek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    My bird has these odd feathers on the back of her head and neck, they have a skin over them. I can get it of but I'm afraid that i'll pull her feathers out and she cant reach them to get them. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?

2. Chick Norris

Chick Norris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Chester County, PA
    It's normal. The reason you see it on the head and neck it because she cannot reach those areas to preen and remove the "skins" from the feathers herself. Feel free to remove them.

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    It's not exactly skin, it's the protective covering that new feathers have, keeps them from getting damaged while they grow. She will pull it off when she preens if she can reach it, but since it's on the back of her head, she can't. You can pull it off if you want. It won't pull her feathers out (unless you pull the feather as well as the "skin"), and it won't hurt your girl. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  4. pek

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Quote:that is the problem, its hard to do because she bites and when ever i try she pulls away and pulls feathers out

5. Chick Norris

Chick Norris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Chester County, PA
    Quote:that is the problem, its hard to do because she bites and when ever i try she pulls away and pulls feathers out

Just wait a little longer. They really shouldn't take much effort to remove. On our chickens there was just a little remnant left on the feather tips which came off with next to no effort. Also try doing it at night when she's more docile.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Leave it alone. The feather shafts will disintegrate and come off by themselves.

7. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Just leave it alone. It will slowly come off on its own as she goes about her business. I never pick anything off my birds and they all turn out fine [​IMG]

8. pek

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    all right, thanks everyone!

9. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Ha Ha when my mother visits, she looks at the birds when they have feathers like this, and says, "Quintin the birds have those worms on their head again."

10. Englishjodes

Englishjodes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Victoria, Australia
    My budgies and tiel look like right hobo scruffs when that happens to them.
    I mist them with some water to encourage them to groom and they rub their heads on the branches and groom each other.

Also when they are dry they look and smell better!
    I have a photo of them being misted from a spray bottle:
    [​IMG]
    They then rub their heads on the bars and help each other.

Nice and easy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by