Weird Something in Poop (poop pic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jengacat, May 7, 2017.

1. jengacat

jengacat Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    Central Kentucky
    This morning I saw some weird "egg" looking things in somebody's poop. Is it possible to have lice nits in poop? I've been treating for a mild lice infestation. Could this be worm related? Haven't seen any worms, but they are due to be wormed. Everyone is acting normally, eating, drinking, foraging etc. Please help!

I'm putting a large pic so you can see what I'm talking about. Look about in the center of the photo--several perfectly oval whitish egg looking things. They eat a lot of vegetables and other stuff in the yard but this doesn't look right lol.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Those could be tape worm segments. Can you take a sample of this to your vet and get a fecal float test done? Many vets will do this even if they don't see birds. Treatment for tape worms is a little different dosing, so it would be good to know for sure if that's what you are treating for. The fecal would also tell you if there are any other type of worms as well.

3. jengacat

jengacat Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    Central Kentucky
    Coach723, yes, I have an avian vet and will attempt to get a fresh sample to be tested tomorrow, thanks! One of my girls was at the vets a couple of months ago for suspected egg yolk peritonitis. At the time, we checked a fecal sample and the vet gave me a Rx for a dewormer, although (this is horrible of me but I was dealing with a sick hen, a sick cat, plus I had the flu) I don't remember her saying there were worms at that time. She told me to wait until Julia was completely better before worming the flock. She was on antibiotics and a pain killer for 3 weeks. I was just getting ready to worm when I found these egg like things. The wormer is 10% fenbendazole which looks like it's just Safeguard that I could have bought at TSC! I paid a compounding pharmacist probably $30 for this--why in the world would the vet not just tell me to go to TSC? Anyway, I've read the threads here and some mention Safeguard treating tapeworms. Would you recommend I use the fenbendazole immediately or wait for a definitive diagnosis tomorrow? I would almost definitely have to order the valbazene online, in that case should I wait to treat with that instead of using the fenbendazole? This time if the vet gives me a Rx for the compounding pharmacy, I know to check here FIRST! :he

4. jengacat

jengacat Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    Central Kentucky
    Also, the fenbendazole says 0.05ml once a day for 3 days. I have enough for all 5 chickens for 3 days. Is this dosing what you guys would recommend?

5. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Here is a post with dosing info for tapeworm with 3 different meds (second post in the thread): https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/679862/safeguard-for-tapeworms-does-it-work
    I've found Dawg53's worming advice in posts to be very good.
    I've never had to treat tapeworm, so can only refer you to this. My understanding is that there are different kinds of tapeworm and safeguard (fenbendazole) only works on one type. Valbazen (albendazole) works on more types. There is another med. discussed in the thread above also. Since this is likely going to be something that you will have to treat for again down the road, ordering the valbazen would probably be a good idea. If your bird is not acting sick then waiting to see what the vet says tomorrow is probably OK, and then you can go from there. See which medication is recommended, and then research.
    I use both Safeguard and Valbazen regularly ( I alternate meds to reduce risk of breeding resistant worms), I just haven't had tapeworm in particular to deal with.

6. jengacat

jengacat Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much, excellent advice. I will hopefully get a nice big sample in the morning (no one was willing to cooperate this evening lol), take it straight to the vet and go from there. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by