weird sores? *pics*

The_Rooster_84

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 29, 2011
Ok ball may recall a cple weeks ago my serama died.. got in fight lost use of legs and died.. well she had same growths show up over nite or so... as these serama the young rooster is her son.. the hen is her convicted killer lol..
The young roosters wasn't there Monday when I cleaned his cage.. I've been gone on a hunting trip to see this..
2011-11-10_03-06-05_185.jpg

2011-11-10_03-05-52_647.jpg

Then hen I first thought was a cut from fighting the other hen.. but it grew and grew.. and got nasty then her eye foamed up for a day... and here it is now?
2011-11-10_03-08-09_623.jpg

Im honestly concerned it could be a staph infection.. because I've had strep and then randomly staph because gf caught it then her grandmother .. they all blame the chickens and I just laughed (im a OCD clean freak).. however I had sore scab over on my nose and inside as well as my gf and her grandma... quite the ordeal lol

It looks to me like fowl pox, with the bottom one being a fowl pox scab that's been pecked or scratched off, leaving an open sore. I would put some iodine (Betadine?) on the eyelid.

I'm not an expert, could be wrong... Just how it looks to me.
cheers
Erica

I believe Erica is right. Fowl Pox. Look it up and you'll find lots of info. There's a wet form and dry form and different degrees of severity for both.

Quote:
She is right.
My chicken had fowl pox too.
Chickens get fowl pox from getting bitten by mosquito's it is a virus.
You can't cure or really treat it but you can put steroid ointment, iodine, or neospirin (non painkiller kind), on the scabs.
There are two forms of fowl pox.
Dry pox and wet pox.
So far it looks like you have the dry kind.
But the wet kind can go through the respiratory system and create lesions that eventually make it hard to eat, drink, and breath.
Wet pox can eventually kill them.

Fowl pox is very contagious and can live in the environment for months.
Scabs, dandruff and the misquito's themselves can spread the illness.

Once a chicken gets over fowl pox they will be immune for life.

The only thing you can really do, is treat the pox marks and try to boost their immune systems.
I fed mine alot of scrambled eggs and yogurt and kept them on tetracycline to prevent a secondary infection.

you can learn more about fowl pox here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-diseases-AvianPox.html

Last edited:
Great advise thank you. The hen cured itself and is fine. The little roo seems be getting better ill put some iodine on it though

Back
Top Bottom