Weird sounding hen. Should I be worried?

Revan

Songster
Jul 3, 2017
Modoc County, California
Since it's something I've noted for awhile, and after losing my little rooster yesterday, I have decided to take no more chances with anything regarding my birds. So, I have about a 3 month old Cochin female. She looks healthy, and is active and alert. But...she doesn't sound like a chicken. She had the same little peeps as all the other chicks, but after she started to mature, her voice became rather hoarse, and screechy. 'Rrraaaack! 'Rraaaack!' Sounds rather like a hoarse version of a hawk or eagle screech. Quite loud too.

Is this a normal sound for some hens?

She's the only one that sounds like this. All the other chickens sound just like I am used to, clucking away. :confused:

Here's some pictures I took a couple weeks back:

2017 July 8 - Unnamed Blue Cochin Hen.JPG

GEDC2714.JPG

Ugh...I tried taking a video of her, and she doesn't really make a sound at all. Just keep looking at me and tilting her head every which way. Probably too curious at what was going on.

I got 10 RIR Layers in may..thet r goin on 3 mo. Old...just this past week I realized on of my hens was a roo!:barnie My little seramas i can usually tell by 3wks. But these larger ones r maturing slower.

Looks like a pullet (hen) to me.

Without hearing it...I suspect she is getting her "big girl voice", they can make quite a bit of racket and sound a bit raspy - like we would after yelling/cheering at a football game. I don't see anything concerning, eyes nice and clear, no crusty nostrils, comb and wattles look good:)

Back
Top Bottom