Weird speckles on Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Connorrm, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Not sure what causes this:

[​IMG]

The speckles are part of the shell...I get quite a few like this.

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I can't answer that one, but I've had a couple with speckles as well, but not to that extent!
    What kind of chicken did it come from?

3. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Some breeds like Wellsummers can lay an egg like that.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Welsummers? What? ALL brown egg layers can do that. It's just extra calcium, can happen to any new layer. [​IMG]

5. Tres Amigas

Tres Amigas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    EA WA - 2 chicken yrs.
    My red sex links lay with speckles and mottles from time to time, along with sometimes uneven "paint jobs", but WOW - that is a beautiful speckled egg!!!

6. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Quote:Oh good. You can see the chickens I keep in my signature [​IMG]

I think they're from the PRs or Golden Comets though, since I"m fairly certain my lighter brown eggs are coming from the speckled sussex.

7. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Quote:The first egg our Golden Comet laid looked exactly like that. Now they are all an nice, even, pinkish brown.

8. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Very pretty safe to eat though I have eaten them and I havent gotten sick.[​IMG]

9. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:That's good to know! thanks

10. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    oooo I want some!
    very cool.
    we've got a duck that sometimes lays with what look like extra globs of shell on the outside... sort of little pips and knots, maybe a dozen or so of them on an egg. I figure her shell-making mechanism is just slightly less than perfect and she sometimes "sputters".

a couple of years ago we had a cayuga duck that would get funny patterns on the eggs at the beginning of the season... they lay gray to black eggs early in the year, lightening up as the year goes on. the first few from her were always like they'd had asphalt applied with an artist's spatula... 1/2" strips of black shell laid randomly over the white shell. as the season went on, they'd even out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by