weird spot in unfertile yolk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aliena614, Nov 18, 2007.

1. aliena614

aliena614 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have 5 hens (rooster was dinner way before laying time). After laying for about 6weeks now im getting sparatic eggs with tiny single brownish glob/specks on the yolk? can anyone help? sorry picks not avail.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's probably a meat spot, a bit of tissue from the reproductive tract of the hen. I get yolks with streaks or meat spot on occasion, but not often.

3. aliena614

May 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    hopefully!!! i was thinking I had an undercover rooster! but have yet to see blood

4. speckledhen

Even if you see blood, that doesn't have anything to do with fertilization. You can get blood spots in eggs where the hens have never seen a rooster. It's just an anomaly that pops up from time to time and is to a degree, hereditary in some lines. You may not want to hatch future laying hens from hens who regularly produce blood/meat spots.

5. aliena614

May 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    oh! good to know! thanks so much!

6. speckledhen

You're welcome! [​IMG]

7. chickUP

chickUP Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2007
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I'm glad you posted this question. I have gotten the same thing on a few different occasions now. We have never had a rooster. The girls have been laying for about 7 weeks now. Good to know it is nothing to worry about!

8. wabbit1964

wabbit1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    Maine
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Is that what this is???? We were cracking eggs for dinner tonight and I have never seen anything like this in my eggs.. Sorry about the glare from the lighting

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  9. speckledhen

Looks like tissue to me, so yes, I'd say it was a type of meat spot. You'll see weird stuff in your eggs over the years from time to time.

10. wabbit1964

wabbit1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    Maine
    My Coop
    thank you that is interesting

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by