Weird spot on the yolk of my eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tatudadee, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Tatudadee

Tatudadee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    There has been a weird spot that is almost the color of a cooked yolk on the yolk of one my hens eggs I stopped eating them can't figure out what it is. It's about the diameter of a #2 pencil eraser.

4 barred rocks, 4 golden comets, Guinea roo and hen. Much more to come when the fences go up.

2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Is it maybe a bullseye, meaning they're fertile? Do you have a rooster?

3. Tatudadee

Aug 21, 2010
    I do, I'm still new to this, my eggs are'nt in the nesting box any longer than 24hrs is that long enough to develop a bullseye? I've only had chickens for about 4mos now having a great time. This website has been fantastic for info.

4. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought I read somewhere that the bullseye develops early, as in before the egg is completely formed in the hen, so it wouldn't have to be in the nest box long for you to find one with a bullseye. I'll try to find that info . . .

Melissa

5. Tatudadee

Aug 21, 2010
    Cool, I appreciate it very much. I think I might read too much about chickens I stay so paranoid about worms and other parasites that if I see the slightest thing I throw the egg away and since I only have one laying right now thats not very effective for their purpose.

6. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

7. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    It's just a furtile egg, if you don't want the spot you'll have to get rid of the roo. IDK but they taste the same to me!

8. GrandmaAnn

GrandmaAnn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I don't know if it's true or not, but some people claim fertilized eggs have a cholesterol that is better, some say less cholesterol. It doesn't make sense to me, so I just shrug when they say that. I had one lady who would only eat fertilized eggs. She'd come over to watch our roosters in action just to make sure. She bought a lot of eggs from us.

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008
    This
    is a great sticky about fertile eggs - with excellent pictures of the bullseye.

It has nothing to do with how long you left it in the nest.

Oh, and from everything i can find to read, the story about fertilized eggs being lower in cholesterol is a myth. Though lots of people are paying extra to get them! Good for US, i guess! LOL!

10. Tatudadee

Aug 21, 2010
    Thanx all I really appreciate it I'll check out this sites yall sent. I'll also go back to my omelets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by