Weird spot on three of my hen's eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by C2theJ2theSMIT, Aug 26, 2014.

1. C2theJ2theSMIT

C2theJ2theSMIT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2014
    Northern California
    I have two barred rocks and two Rhode Island reds. They're all new to laying eggs (and I'm new to the chicken scene). I've noticed for the past 3-4 days, one of the eggs has a dark spot on its tip. Does anyone know what the spots mean? Here are two different pictures, two of yesterday's egg and two of today's egg.
    These are from today (below).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are from yesterday (below).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's probably just a quirk of the pigmentation process. I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of odd things happen now and then, particularly with pullets who are just getting started laying.

3. JMarch

JMarch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    I've seen some like that before- we called them "booby eggs"- for obvious reasons. Makes for a great conversation starter.

2 people like this.
  4. klyn

klyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    haha!

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - it only seems "odd" when we see them from our home flocks because you never see any sort of imperfections on the store bought eggs - which leads people to think that these little blips are abnormal when, in truth, it is just that anything less than perfect never sees the inside of an egg carton on the factory farms as they are picked out and processed for other uses.

3 people like this.
  6. C2theJ2theSMIT

C2theJ2theSMIT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2014
    Northern California
    Thank you Judy!!

7. Speckledfarmer

Speckledfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    Wausau, WI
    I get the same thing intermittently. It usually looks like yours, but today it was much more pronounced. I typically eat these right away and don't give them to people. Interested in any other theories since it really doesn't look like pigment to me. The shell is almost translucent near the brown spot. Like something is soaking through. Here are a couple of pictures from today.

8. Speckledfarmer

Speckledfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    Wausau, WI
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by