WEIRD. . .the eggs are gone?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jeepgirl, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2013
    I went to my coop this morning, and had 4 eggs. 2 were marked (they were going to hatch any day now), and the other 2 were new. I collected the 2 new eggs. Went to the barn. Came back 4 hours later and the 2 eggs that were ready to hatch are GONE. No chicks, no shells in the nesting box . . .just gone.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? What in the world would have taken the eggs in the broad daylight?!!! And I searched the yard for chicks, pieces of shell, etc. . .there is no trace of them anywhere. . .

Ideas? I know i'll never know what happened to them, but I'm just checking to see if anyone has ever had anything like this happen before?!!!

2. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you have a snake about. When entire eggs vanish like that, that's normally the culprit.

3. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2013
    There are bull snakes and rattlesnakes up here -- do you think they'd eat both eggs in one sitting?

4. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh yeah. A snake would happily take more then that. I'd watch out. It knows where there's food and probably didn't go far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by