WEIRD. . .the eggs are gone?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jeepgirl, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl In the Brooder

May 18, 2013
    I went to my coop this morning, and had 4 eggs. 2 were marked (they were going to hatch any day now), and the other 2 were new. I collected the 2 new eggs. Went to the barn. Came back 4 hours later and the 2 eggs that were ready to hatch are GONE. No chicks, no shells in the nesting box . . .just gone.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? What in the world would have taken the eggs in the broad daylight?!!! And I searched the yard for chicks, pieces of shell, etc. . .there is no trace of them anywhere. . .

Ideas? I know i'll never know what happened to them, but I'm just checking to see if anyone has ever had anything like this happen before?!!!

2. I think you have a snake about. When entire eggs vanish like that, that's normally the culprit.

3. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl In the Brooder

May 18, 2013
    There are bull snakes and rattlesnakes up here -- do you think they'd eat both eggs in one sitting?

4. Oh yeah. A snake would happily take more then that. I'd watch out. It knows where there's food and probably didn't go far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: