weird thing hanging on my hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cackilacky, May 28, 2010.

1. cackilacky

cackilacky Songster

Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Okay, first let me say sorry no pic here. My EE is so hard to get close to that I can't even get a picture of her, much less hold her and figure out what the odd thing hanging on her side is. I noticed this morning that she seemed to have a small stick stuck in her feathers (on her side below the wing) and dragging along with her. It's about 5 inches long and the width of an ivy vine. I couldn't catch her to try and pull it off, or even get close enough to see if it is indeed a stick. It looks almost leathery, though, and it hasn't fallen off all day. I am waiting for DD or DH to come home and help me catch her. Does this sound like any kind of bizarre chicken disease any of you have seen? She seems to be feeling fine; her usual feisty self, ranging with her friends and clucking. I'm worried that she has come kind of weird parasite or something [​IMG]

2. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Songster

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    Im sure its just a stick stuck in her feathers..lol wait until she is roosting tonight and go check her out. I wouldnt stress her out with trying to catch her while she is running around. If she seems fine and she isnt bleeding etc then wait til tonight.
    Im interested to see what it is [​IMG]

3. cackilacky

cackilacky Songster

Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Okay, that's reassuring. I'll update once I can check it out!

4. cackilacky

cackilacky Songster

Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    It was a stick. I am so neurotic! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: