1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

weird thing happening with my incubator and chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sdugey, Aug 31, 2014.

1. sdugey

sdugey Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    For the last three hatches in my incubator, my chicks were fully formed, or looked so to me, But died in the shell. I have a incubator that you can see thru and and egg turner. My incubator keeps beeping trying to keep temperature at set temp. I am on day 19, I took eggs out of turner, And so far nothing, Day 22. I am afraid it has happened again. This hatch. I even turned the eggs myself, about 3 to 4 times a day. Help! has anyone had this problem???

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Sorry to hear about your bad hatches. You don't mention what your humidity has been. I personally stop turning day 18 this gives the chicks time to get into position for pipping then hatching. Humidity should be at least 65% from day 18 this keeps the shells soft enough so they can pip through. Do you have still air or forced air (fan) incubator. Have your temps been too high or too low. Sorry for all questions.

3. sdugey

sdugey Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    Temp is trying to stay normal. It keeps beeping for a short period and then goes back to the temperature. My humidity has been at 60%, right now it is on 63% This is day 22. I think I see one piping. I hope. But that is out of about 48 eggs.
    The following is what my incubator states:

This incubator is the is made for all sorts of eggs, such as chicken eggs, duck eggs, goose eggs, turkey eggs, etc. It easily accommodates up to 48 eggs. The LED screen provides information about temperature, humidity, hatching day and egg turning time. This all allows for efficient monitoring and close care. The auto turners automatically turn the eggs around every 2 hours to improve hatch speed.​
    Features:
    • Can accommodate 48 eggs on auto turners
    • Automatic egg turning every 2 hours
    • Digital temperature control for easy operation
    • LED displays temperature, humidity, hatching day, egg turning time
    • Temperature and humidity alarm
    • Suitable for incubating chicken, duck, and other fowl eggs
    • Built-in water channels control humidity level
    • Easy to clean
    • Easy to use. Instructions included
    • CE Certification, ISO9001 Quality Certification

Specifications:
    • Egg capacity:48 eggs
    • Sizes:50*47*23.5cm
    • Packing box:50*29*53cm
    • Weights:7.2kgs
    • Power:80W.
    • Valtage:110V~120V/60Hz
    • Frequency:50HZ-60HZ

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Personally I think 60% is too high on humidity for day 1 - 18 I always incubate at 45% and hatch at 65%. If your humidity has been too high the egg does not loose enough moisture and the air cell does not grow large enough for the chick to pip into or of it does pip it may drown on the internal pip . I think I would also get another thermometer and hygrometer just to check the incubator or if you can re calibrate it if there are instructions. Good luck and hope you have seen a pip.:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by