Weird thing in my nesting box..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emmylou6847, Dec 7, 2017.

1. emmylou6847

emmylou6847 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2017
    hello everyone!

I'm new to being a chicken mom have had my 4 hens (3 are 8mo old, and one is 2yr old) and a 2yr old silky rooster for 6weeks now. They started laying right when I brought em home they haven't in 3wks now, I know it's chilly (northern IL) still getting used to living at my house, I have a timer out there for a light, lots of shavings (deep litter method) and got cracked corn for a treat at night, , they have feed and water always avalaibke ..when I went to check on them tonight I found this weird things wondering what it is? A latch egg? And are they ever going to lay again?

Attached Files:

2. Elana DeBolt

Elana DeBolt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2017
    Arkansas
    I have some bad new for you, it may not be what i think it is, but if it is your chicken may die. Read this post i made earlier this year https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-did-my-hen-just-lay.1180585/ and then you should cut that thing open and see if it looks like the one in the post. I hope its not 'lash egg' "sign of infection in the reproductive tract"

3. emmylou6847

Dec 7, 2017
    I already threw it away bottom of the garbage outside tried looking for it but I'd have to dump so much out to find it.. everyone is acting normal?

4. Hyper_Chicken05

Hyper_Chicken05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2017
    Hamilton, New zealand
    Oh dam

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Not all lash eggs are a sign of infection... I had a hen lay one this summer and never again had an issue... she's still out in the pen, running around just fine... if it happens again or any hen starts to look lethargic or sick, then worry...

6. emmylou6847

Dec 7, 2017
    Oh that makes me feel better!

Ravynscroft likes this.
  7. Elana DeBolt

Elana DeBolt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2017
    Arkansas
    Sorry I was go for so long, I was doing on some schoolwork. I am glad to hear they are all acting normal, when mine had a lash egg she acted like she was egg bound. If they don't show any signs of pain, lethargic ness, or distress then they should be fine. Ravynscroft is right, not all lash eggs are signs of infection.

And wow, I just reread my first post, sorry if I scared or worried you. I should have been more descriptive and said that if all of the hens are behaving like normal to just keep a watchful eye on them.

emmylou6847 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by