Weird things coming out of my hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gvlle karen, Aug 8, 2013.

1. gvlle karen

gvlle karen New Egg

Aug 8, 2013
    My leghorn hen has stopped laying, her feathers look ragged, but not molting and I have found two weeird things in the pen. One was a two inch wide ovoid shaped chunk of what looked like fat a few days ago. Today I found a larger, three inch long leathery object with pink tissue inside, with clear fluid inside that. It does not stink. The hen is eating and pooping fairly normally, walks around the pen. Her comb is a little pale and her vent looks a little dry. Any ideas what may be wrong with her?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It sounds like parts of her reproductive tract are coming out, her ovary and/or oviduct.

3. gvlle karen

gvlle karen New Egg

Aug 8, 2013
    Thanks, that what I suspected, too. I actually plan to take her (Sophia the hen) to the UF extension office Monday to have her looked at by the extension farm agent (Wendy). I may offer to give Sophia to her if someone there wants to do a necropsy. I guess it is better to let them put her down quickly rather than let her suffer, if she thinks Sophia is in pain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by