Weird-Why are the eggs under the bedding in the nesting boxes???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DurangoCal, Aug 28, 2010.

1. DurangoCal

DurangoCal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    The last two days I have gone to collect the eggs and at first am shocked because I see NO eggs. But then I notice all the hay and shavings are heaped up in the middle. So then, I dig around and find the eggs hidden under the hay. The pullets have been laying for about a month now and this has never happened before (I had chickens last year as well and this never happened with that bunch either.) Who and why would they be doing this??? This is not just in one nesting box, it is in all the boxes that happen to contain eggs (I have 8 boxes and 25 pullets). Yesterday there were 12 hidden eggs, today I collected 8, with probably a few more coming this afternoon. Oh, and today I also found a large flat rock about the weight of an egg in one of the nesting boxes as well.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My guess would be instinct telling them to hide their eggs, as they would in the wild.

3. DurangoCal

DurangoCal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    It seems to have stopped. The bedding in the nesting boxes are now staying in the shape of the nests that the pullets make.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by