Weird wood duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by desertdarlene, Jul 15, 2011.

1. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I went out to the lake and there's this adorable juvenile wood duck out there that is really friendly towards me. Today, I noticed something weird about him. First, something was hanging off his mouth. So, I checked him out and took some photos and it looks like his tongue is hanging from the outside of her mouth. At first, I thought maybe he was missing the bottom part of his bill, but he was drinking and grooming just fine without a problem. And, when I looked at his photos, I saw a top and bottom bill, but the tongue was either hanging out the side or through a hole in the bottom of his bill.

Anyone see anything like this? I think he is about two months old, but it could also be an adult going through a molt. Or, it could be a hybrid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Looks like an old beat up guy with a tumor on the bottom of his bill.

3. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:Yeah, I think it's a boy, too, especially with the white chin. But, I think I saw him move that thing when he groomed.

4. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Yeah, I think it's a boy, too, especially with the white chin. But, I think I saw him move that thing when he groomed.

How weird!

5. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    I've seen a photo like that before, but I can't remember what it was. Parasite maybe.... I don't remember where I saw it [​IMG] This is going to drive me nuts now.

6. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Years ago we captured a drake northern pintail in a rocket net that had his tongue out the side of his bill like that. Every time we would put it back in correctly, it' return to that position. Believe it' a broken hyoid bone.

Clint

7. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Its a male.

He's also in super rough shape.

It looks like the membrane under his bill is ripped ,letting his tonge hang out.

For his best interests ,please try catching him and sending him to a wildlife rehab center.

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    that's was going to be my guess too Clint.
    Most likely a hunting injury or something similar damaged the lower bill and or bone there.

He is a very old looking boy, not a juvenile by no means, mainly looks ruff because he's going there his summer molt is all. If he's eating a drinking fine, not much more that can be done for him.
    Looks fat, no breast bones showing....my guess is without a net it's be impossible to catch him. And at this point in his life, a rehab center would just knock him in the head as soon as you left, this is one that will be just best left where he's at

9. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:I agree, I think if he's eating, drinking and grooming fine and otherwise happy, there's no reason why I should do anything about him except let him live out his days.

We don't allow hunting anywhere within 40 miles of this lake and I think he may have been there most of his life. Yes, he is going through his molt, that's for sure.

10. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I was wondering, are his chances of choking higher?

I have some pictures of him that I took about a week ago, but his head was tucked in. If he's the male I always see around this spot, he didn't have it during breeding season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by