weird "yip" sounds... not her egg song! *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oceanwidedesigns, Oct 13, 2011.

1. oceanwidedesigns

oceanwidedesigns Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Fresno County
    Two weeks ago our BAs started singing their egg songs, but we still don't have any eggs. This morning just before 11, one of them launched into the longest egg song yet. I went outside after she had been done for about five or so minutes, still no egg.

While I was out there, she started making this weird yipping sound. Is this normal?!?! The second time she did it (the time I recorded) she shook her head on the first yip. She's about 27 weeks old now, no signs of a health problem... walking perfectly normal, no mites or fleas, etc.
    Link to audio (it should just play in your browser)
    http://www.ourmisadventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/selma_yipping.m4a

The clucking and honking are from her sisters, the only sounds she made were the yips.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. oceanwidedesigns

Aug 31, 2010
    Fresno County
    Ok... after a day of constant egg songs... and weird yipping... purring... lots of bizarre behavior...

Selma was just confused about needing to unload her first egg!!!

[​IMG]
    GUESS WHAT?!? by Ocean Wide Designs, on Flickr

3. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Awesome! Love the egg holder. Congrats on Selma's 1st egg. [​IMG]

4. oceanwidedesigns

Aug 31, 2010
    Fresno County
    Thanks!

It was a find at World Market... then two weeks later it went on clearance! Our World Market/Cost Plus still has a ton in their clearance section [​IMG]

5. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Congrats on your first egg, who would think that is such a turn on? ME!!!!
    My BA's sing before and after like I am going to lay, and then come see my egg. Half the time they honk like geese!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by