Weird yolkk color from WH

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by truegrit farm, Nov 15, 2011.

1. truegrit farm

truegrit farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    I have WH ducks, 1 drake and 4 hens. They are just starting to lay in the past 4 weeks (born in May) first eggs were fine with nice yellow yolks, past couple weeks I am getting some that have a kinda yucky khaki or pale olive color yolks? I pick them up every day and am getting 4 eggs a day.
    Somewhere I read that eating acorns could cause this? If that could be right it would make sense as they free range during the day and we have TONS of acorns especially these little small ones EVERYWHERE. If this is it are the eggs ok to eat? Been giving them to the dogs.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, I've also read that acorns turn yolks an olive color, and I think that they are okay to eat. Let's see what others think.

Apparently alfalfa can do that. At least to chicken yolks (so I've read).

3. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    YUCK ! Green eggs and ham ! [​IMG]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could you upload a photo?

5. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Your post got me curious and I started searching on the net for info. I did find this http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/ep127.pdf It has a bunch of things on shell, white and yolk conditions. It mentioned green yolks and greenish-brown yolks. Not sure if it covers your yolk problem but it looked at least handy for future reference. I would also like to see a photo of your eggs too (at least I think I want too [​IMG] ).

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I too have upon occassion seen the 'green yolk' eggs. We always discarded them. It will be very interesting to see if someone really knows what is going on. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. truegrit farm

Apr 2, 2008
    Well, they aren't really green more a tanish color. Let me break a couple and see if I can get a picture. Not all are this way so it may be a little bit before I can get a photo. I really think it has to be the acorns we have a zillion of little tiny ones and we have 20 count em 20 oak trees in our yard area which covers almost an acre and the quakers are foraging out everywhere, besides I never got these weird colors until the acorns accumulated so badly on the ground.

8. truegrit farm

Apr 2, 2008
    Okay, it was hard to get the color to show correctly so I cracked one of my chicken eggs next to the 3 duck eggs. As you can see they are a brownish with a hint of green. Would you eat these, LOL!

[​IMG]

9. truegrit farm

Apr 2, 2008
    Also, sorry for my misspellings I really don't have Quakers in my yard........they are quackers and I do know how to spell YOLK........[​IMG]

10. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:

I never even noticed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by