1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

weird ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by swtangel321, Jul 16, 2008.

1. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I have a silkie hen that is IN LOVE with HER rooster who is also a silkie, none of them perch on the nice post my husband made, was just wondering if anyone else thought it was weird that the hen and rooster sleep together every night, he goes in the box makes a nest and then calls her in.... it is kinda cute it's like they are a little married couple, any thoughts on this ??

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    None of my silkies roost either.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    My silkies don't roost either. They like to snuggle up on the floor of the coop together.

Your couple sound very sweet. Any pictures? [​IMG]

4. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    mine aren't silkies. but my roo sleeps on my cochins head.
    They are separated for now, as her head is bald from him pecking.

5. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:all my silkies roost...

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:I will get a pic as soon as I can, It is really funny/cute.... like i said he goes in makes a little nest and the calls her and she goes in.... even when she lays an egg he goes in to her egg laying box makes a little nest for her and then she goes in and lays, he waits for her right outside the box... so it's not all that weired then that they sleep together !!!

7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Why do you think that is ? b/c they are smaller birds ?? I know they can get up there !!!

8. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    No idea. Mine just never did. I've heard of some doing it, but mine never did. Well, I take that back, I had some that were mixes and they did, but my pure silkies never did. Not sure why.

(I know some do so not at all implying that those that do are mixed, lest I get hollered at!)

9. Silly Chickens

Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Could you send that little guy over to me for a while, he could teach my hubby a little something...LOL

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Quote:[​IMG]

i was just going to say the same thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by