Weirdest chicken stance!?!?

Dee5385

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 14, 2014
Northern Virginia
So I'm new to chickens but this was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. I startled one of my new hens and she sqwated down and her wings kind of poked out on each side. She reminded me of a cat that was about to pounce. Anyone else ever seen this or know what it's all about?

If she is laying eggs that this is usually a mounting position. One of my four does this routinely. Makes it easier to pick her up
wink.png
. The other 3 kinda squat but walk away under my hands.

thats normal behavior for chickens when they are scared. they flatten to the ground as when flying predators come by. and if they are not frightened and you see this, they are looking for a rooster. hahha aren't you glad you scared her?
lau.gif

That's perfectly normal for chickens. Once they know your going to pick them up they go into this position because it more comfortable to be picked up this way.

So I'm new to chickens but this was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. I startled one of my new hens and she sqwated down and her wings kind of poked out on each side. She reminded me of a cat that was about to pounce. Anyone else ever seen this or know what it's all about?

She thinks you are a handsome rooster and is submitting to you. If she isn't laying eggs yet, she will lay soon, pullets start to do this as they mature into hens.

Oh, if you pet her back, you might notice she will swing her tail to one side or the other. I am no expert but I suspect it is to make mating easier for the rooster by moving the tail out of the way.

Last edited:
She thinks you are a handsome rooster and is submitting to you. If she isn't laying eggs yet, she will lay soon, pullets start to do this as they mature into hens.

Oh, if you pet her back, you might notice she will swing her tail to one side or the other. I am no expert but I suspect it is to make mating easier for the rooster by moving the tail out of the way.

Mine does the same thing. If I scatch her back she will eventually stand up and shake out her feathers like something happened
wink.png

Another question answered, Thank you. One of my ladies started this a four days ago.. so wondering how soon after this starts that laying will begin??? Can't wait.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom