Weirdest question yet, concerning dogs and chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gritsar, Jul 17, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Our neighbor to the south has been friends with DH's family since the 1970s. There's alot of history there, but good history. She was first on the scene when DH's father had a fatal heart attack, she helped care for DH's mother ill, etc. Always been there for the family, so I don't want to make waves.

This lady, now in her 70s, has two small beagle mix dogs. She also has commercial chicken houses and these dogs are very much used to being around chickens.

Last week I was out in a field checking on my chickens and I noticed that the chickens were giving a spot in the tall grass a wide berth. That's when I noticed one of her dogs just laying there. I had never seen her dogs before, so at the time I didn't know who the dog belonged to. Afraid for my chickens, I scooped the dog up (very friendly) and brought it up to the house. DH called around and found out it belonged to this lady. She immediately came and got it. That's when she explained to me about it being used to chickens. Obviously since she has commercial houses, her dogs have been trained that messing with chickens is a big no-no.

Two times since then both that dog and her other one have been up here, not bothering the chickens, just passing through. When we spot them and holler at em, they hightail it home.

I'm concerned about the dogs, but again don't want to make waves if they aren't going to bother the chickens. We live in the county, with no leash laws.

My question - I have a couple of silkies and a couple of polish. Neither breed looks anything like a cornish X (commercial bird). Can the dogs still tell they are chickens?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    C'mon. even people have trouble telling that those breeds, NN, and Trahmas are chickens. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I think your chickens are safe Gritty your "strange" birds still move and smell like chickens. The dogs will leave them alone. I'm curious as to why Kane and Jax "avoided" that dog?????

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I'd venture to say, though these dogs may be able to hear and smell chickens on their place, the biosecurity~and setup~ of those commercial houses would prevent them ever coming in contact with a real, live, walking and running chicken. You are talking about two little hunting dogs that seem to be curious enough to lie down next to your flock and watch them. I wouldn't be real comfortable with that setup and you may find that they will devastate your flock with just a few moments of fun and frolic.

I'd invest in some electric netting and move your range around on occasion...and I wouldn't trust anyone's dogs but my own around my chickens.

4. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Good question... Have the dogs been near your birds, or just on your property? If they've been near them and no harm done maybe they know, but that's just my guess.

I do have dogs and ducks along with my 7 week old chickens. We spent some time teaching the dogs that the ducks are TOTALLY off limits (problem being we also send the dogs out after any animal in the yard) it surprisingly only took one day for them to learand now with the babies all I really have to do is say MINE! I am the alfa human in the house tho. Beagles are supposed to be pretty smart so...

Anyway, I live in the country too, and most people out here don't bother with containing their dogs (grrr), Auchan is exactly why mine are allowed to run all animals off the property. So maybe the dogs just know that if it smells like a chicken don't touch.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Jax and Kane were never allowed contact with it. I put it on the screened porch while DH made the calls. Big as they are, Jax and Kane are most definitely house dogs.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't think you have anything to worry about from her dogs. I wouldn't pet them because it would be inviting them to come over. But, other than telling them "GO HOME!" I wouldn't do more than that. Think you just need to chill. I know it isn't easy but, everything in a dogsuit isn't an enemy.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Dang. I have to agree with Sourland. [​IMG] What's up with that?

Just kidding sour, I really do agree. They are probably used to the sight, smells and sounds of chickens and other small non-chicken critters, like Silkies and Polish.

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:What the poultry companies say is supposed to happen with the commercial houses and what actually does happen is two different stories. This lady related a few stories enough for me to know that these dogs have indeed been around live chickens, albeit commercial birds.

Same thing back when there was commercial houses on this farm. DH's mom wasn't supposed to have backyard birds, but she did. DH's dad being the poultry companys "chicken doctor" allowed her to get away with that.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:[​IMG]

Whaaaaat? I wasn't trying to be funny....... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011