Weirdo Egg: Mother & Daughter Comparison (Pic)

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Just another for the weird egg collection...the problem is that Serena's egg is like this every time. It doesn't fit in any carton so I have to use hers first. Serena is 1/2 Delaware out of my red hen, Rita, whose egg is pictured on the right to compare with her daughter's on the left.

Serena's is 2.5 oz, Rita's is 2.2 oz. Serena's is also always chalky and not all that strong shelled-how could it be, as elongated as it is, right?
roll.png

Serena, producer of weird torpedo eggs.

Her mother, Rita, who is BLRW x Blue Ameraucana (yes, she is, for 100% sure).

What a strange looking egg. You identified it correctly...torpedo shaped it is, lol.

What a strange looking egg. You identified it correctly...torpedo shaped it is, lol.

Good thing I don't want to incubate any of Serena's eggs. They'd not hold up under a broody and they'd have issues in a turner, clunking side to side as it tilted, lol. I just wish every one wasn't the same.

I guess she's a consistent layer...consistently big torpedo-shaped eggs.

Funny how different her daughter's are. Do you suppose Serena had an ancestor that laid eggs like hers? Lots of traits can be passed down, why not egg shape (never heard of it but maybe it's possible?).

I guess she's a consistent layer...consistently big torpedo-shaped eggs.

Funny how different her daughter's are. Do you suppose Serena had an ancestor that laid eggs like hers? Lots of traits can be passed down, why not egg shape (never heard of it but maybe it's possible?).

She's a fabulous layer, as is her mother, usually in the same nest. Its like they know they are mother and daughter, but they really couldn't know that. I've never had any other daughters out of Rita, only a son, so no idea what they'd lay. I have sisters out of my late Rex who lay very similar eggs, so much so that I can't reliably tell them apart. Theirs are more of the fat, rounded Delaware shape (Rex was 1/2 Delaware, Serena and he have the same sire, Isaac).

Back
Top Bottom